Gardening can be a rewarding and fulfilling hobby, but it can also be a source of frustration if your plants are constantly being attacked by pests. While some pests are relatively harmless, others can cause significant damage to your plants. Here are some of the most popular garden pests and how to control them:
- Aphids: Aphids are small, soft-bodied insects that feed on the sap of plants. They can cause wilting, stunted growth, and yellowing of leaves. To control aphids, try using a strong spray of water to knock them off the plants or apply neem oil or insecticidal soap. Companion planting with certain plants, such as ladybugs, can also help control aphids.
- Whiteflies: Whiteflies are small, white, winged insects that feed on the sap of plants. They can cause yellowing of leaves and reduced plant growth. To control whiteflies, use yellow sticky traps, neem oil, or insecticidal soap.
- Spider mites: Spider mites are small, red, or green arachnids that feed on the sap of plants. They can cause yellowing of leaves and fine webbing on the plants. To control spider mites, use a strong spray of water, neem oil, or insecticidal soap. You can also use a miticide which is a specific pesticide for spider mites.
- Cutworms: Cutworms are caterpillars that feed on the stems of young plants at night, cutting them off at the base. To control cutworms, use cutworm collars, neem oil, or insecticidal soap.
- Slugs: Slugs are soft-bodied mollusks that feed on the leaves and stems of plants. They can cause holes in the leaves thus weakening your plant.
These are some of the most popular pests to ruin your garden, look out for them and check out some of our other Blog posts promoting ways to keep these pests away by either using companion planting, welcoming beneficial insects or using safe pest deterrent products.